Thursday, August 16, 2007

Made in China: tainted food, fake drugs and dodgy paint | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited

Made in China: tainted food, fake drugs and dodgy paint | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited:

"Shi Ying, 50, a businesswoman, said she was so concerned about food safety that she found it difficult to shop. 'I dare not eat farmed fish or meat because most are fed with growth pills or pumped with bad additives. I worry about vegetables in case they are tainted with pesticide. I even think twice about the water I drink because it might contain heavy metals.'

Although Ms Shi lives in Shenzhen, one of China's most-advanced cities, she has started to grow her own vegetables, eat less meat and drink water only from respected bottled brands or the family well. When she does have to shop, she puts safety above patriotism.

'I think foreign food is less risky. Even though they are not as fresh, I trust products from the US, Europe and Japan because those countries protect their environments. Sometimes when I see foreigners blithely eating raw lettuce in Chinese restaurants, I worry for them.'"

No comments: